Sunday, October 12, 2008

Just in time for our 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!





I'm sorry I haven't been looking at the blogs lately, but with the snow keeping me inside I was able to catch up with family and friends and discover that I was tagged to talk about Ben (Thanks Melissa!) This is great timing because our anniversary is in two weeks and I was going to write an "Ode to Ben" but now I can just do this!



*Where did you meet? Ben and I met at the Brigham Apartments in downtown Salt Lake. My old roommates were friends with him and I was over visiting and they said they were going to go visit Ben and tell him Happy Birthday. I didn't know who Ben was so I decided to come with. I will never forget this moment. I remember it like it was yesterday! I walked into Ben's apartment and saw him sitting on his couch with his hat on backwards. He had a stool propped up in front of him and he was working on bills. The spirit hit me (does the Holy Ghost actually hit?) and told me that this was the man I was going to marry. We got to talking; completely ignoring my old roomies until they left and we talked until the next morning.



* How long did you date? Ben and I dated for about two weeks before I went back to Illinois for the summer. Before I left with my sister and parents, Ben asked my dad at the airport if he could marry me. That is a funny story in itself! Ben was so nervous he kept drinking all this water and then he would have to go to the bathroom and then drink more water and have to go again and my plane was leaving in 10 minutes so I left him alone with my dad and said Ben has to ask you something and walked away with my mom and sister! Poor Ben! We talked over the phone about two or three times a day and I came back to Utah about three weeks later. I didn't want to be without him anymore. He picked me up at the airport and proposed at the terminal! It was such a clever proposal; but again, that's another story. We were married six months later in October.



*How long have you been married? We will have been married for TEN YEARS on October 24th. Where has the time gone?!



* What's your favorite feature of his? I love Ben's eyes-they're very gentle and piercing, his hair-especially the slightly graying sides!, and his shoulders.



* What's your favorite quality of his? I'm going to write two is that okay? First is Ben's ability to love everyone. He treats anyone he meets or knows with such respect and thoughtfulness. He truly loves all people and never says unkind things about people-period. That is a trait I don't think many people have and I'm grateful Ben has it. The second one is that Ben is able to forgive so quickly. If others offend him (or I get mad at him) he is instantly able to forgive and honestly forget it. What greater attribute of Christ is there? I'm know there's more but through Ben's example he has taught me so much about the Savior love and about myself. Where would I be without him? I love him!



* Does he have a nickname for you? I'd have to say Kel Bel.



* What's his favorite color? I'd have to say blue or green but Ben also loves red and yellow.



* What's his favorite food? Chicken noodle soup with mashed potatoes. Debby makes it the best


and unfortunately for him I haven't even tried to make it, I'm so bad! But he is so sweet and says he likes all the food I make. (Thanks honey.)



* What's his favorite sport? He doesn't participate but does Ninja Warrior count? Or Wipeout? We actually like watching gymnastics and swimming.



* What's your favorite thing to do as a couple? Watch a movie, or take a nap! Actually, just sitting together talking about beliefs etc. without interruptions I think it fun for us.



* Where is his favorite vacation spot? Lake Powell for sure. We went there with family when we were still engaged and had such a blast. That is one place we always talk about going to but never quite get there, but we've got time.



* Do you have any children? We have three awesome children and one of the way. With one more to follow if I have anything to say about it! :)



* How old is he? Ben is 33. He can't wait to be 60 years old when he qualifies for senior citizen discounts! Half way there babe!



* Who said I love you first & where? Haa haa. I told Ben, I think a week after I met him that I was falling in love with him. We were at my apartment sitting on the couch. He told me I don't know if I feel that way. I want to make sure that you're the one for me so I'm going to try and find this girl that I had a crush on in high school and see if anything happens there. (I'm paraphrasing just so you know.) Well talk about embarrassing, so I broke up with him but we still continued to hang out. It was slightly nerve wracking waiting for his decision but in the end after praying and hanging out with me he knew for a fact that I was the one. Now, Ben and I can laugh about this story although at the time I didn't think it was that funny but Ben had told me later that he wanted to be sure that he could give all of himself to me and not wonder about what could have been, etc. with someone else. He is so wise and thoughtful like that. I'm glad he was looking ahead for our well being and security. (Does that make sense?)



* What's his favorite type of music? Ben is definately a child of the 80's! He loves singing with all the 80's music but he also likes dance and faster paced songs to work out to. He's not a country fan and he is starting to listen to oldies music more.



* What do you admire most about him? Ben is the most Christlike person I have ever met (besides his mom) and I thank the Lord and will be thanking him in all my days for Ben. He is honest, hardworking, kind, loving, thoughtful, funny, extremely intelligent and resourceful. He is patient and understanding and handsome. He's everything I could have ever hoped for. And for some weird reason he loves ME! How lucky can I get? He makes me a better wife, mother, sister, and friend. I love you Ben!



* Do you think he'll read this? Ben usually reads our blog but I'll hint to him that I spotlighted him so maybe he will read it faster!

5 comments:

jamirodana said...

That is great! I love reading about you guys. I feel like I know you so well, but not Ben at all. We need to have a game(board) night again and he HAS to come! :)

Life for the Pillings said...

I'm glad that you did this Kelly! Ben is an awesome guy! I couldn't have asked for a better big brother. He teaches me a lot also. I'm so glad that he married you and that you are a part of our family. I douply excited that you guys moved back to Utah. We love having you here again. See you this weekend!

Alyssa said...

haha.... so... I was going to tell you today when I was at your house... the picture of ben reminds me of.... grey's anatomy "mcdreamy" aka patrick demsey... he has the hair. OH THE HAIR. :) You probably don't get it, but it's definitely a compliment! I didn't realize how much Jake and Ben looked a like at that age... I mean come on! They probably have more then 1/4 of the same genes- right?? Haha. Kelly! You are my favorite. You are seriously such an awesome friend, and I LOOOOVe talking with you and laughing with you! Your kids are adorable! Ally makes me laugh, Eli makes me laugh so hard I cry.. I just love spending time with your family! :) LOVE YA!

Wendie said...

I'm so glad that you decided to participate in Melissa's husband tag. It's been fun to go down memory lane with everyone. I learned some new things or maybe I was just reminded of how poor my memory is. I can't imagine our family without you. You're such a sweetie and I love you. Take Care!

Groff Family said...

Thanks for sharing that history! You guys are so cute. I love the wakeboarding picture! Great blog background too. I'm glad you are having so much fun in Utah! If only I could convince Aaron to move back....