Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Uplifting Thoughts

It's a perfect day outside to bundle up with a blanket and leftover Halloween candy inside. After I put Isaac down for a nap, I was catching up on reading everyone's blogs. I am grateful for the spiritual insight that family members,aka, Dad, Melissa, and Wendie have written. Lately when I read what's happening in the world, I honestly feel like I am in a movie-like this really can't be happening-people can't be treating each other this way. It kinda blows me away. Through all of this though, I haven't really had any fear, more just concern for myself and my loved ones.

So after reading the blogs(and making sure I didn't update mine with cute Halloween pics like everyone else!!) I sat down to read my scriptures and opened up to 2 Nephi chapter 2. (Just a side note-in our ward in Illinois October was the month to try and read the Book of Mormon in it's entirety so I tried to continue that tradition out here; pay no attention to the fact that it is November 4th and I'm in 2 Nephi. :)) Anyway, this chapter talks about how freedom of choice is essential to existence and progression and that men are free to choose liberty and eternal life. It was just a great chapter to read on election day. As I continued reading I got to one of my favorite scriptures in 2 Nephi 4:34-35 and it just makes me determined to prepare myself and my family for whatever may come and to put my faith in God. So I thought I'd share it--although if you have the time please read all of chapter 4 because it's such a great chapter!
"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen."

Great stuff!! PLEASE GO OUT AND VOTE!!

3 comments:

Rachel Chick said...

Wow. I really appreciated that today. thanks so much for sharing. do you mind if i decide to quote it on my blog as well?

Kelly said...

that is totally fine Rach!

Kelly said...

that is totally fine Rach!